Sunday 21 December 2014

Sunrise to Sunset

Our first day of the Christmas holidays. Most people would prefer a lie in, however, that was not the case for Mom and I.  Sunrise to Sunset was the challenge; to fish as many venues as possible. We woke while the sky was still dark, and set off wrapped up warm for a cold, yet eventful day of fishing.

Kinard was the our first chosen location, for the fact it is a known venue for a beautiful sunrise. It was here that I set up my rod, and Mom began taking some photos. Sadly there was no fish around. 

It was on to Dingle, the next place on our list. We arrived at about 11 o clock. We descended the ramp in search of a Red Mouth Gobi. No such luck though but thankfully I caught something,  it was a small Pollack. Again we moved to a new spot but before that we had a little stroll around the town and Mom bought me some Gloves. They were nice, warm and black in colour. Ventry was our next stop. We stayed there for a couple of hours. We got nothing until a ray of hope. I felt a strong rattle on the rod I jerked the rod back and reeled it in. I was filled with joy when I saw it. It was a long spined sea scorpion.( tiny at 9 cm but another one for the species hunt)

           
Next we decided to go to Smerwick harbor. On the way we stopped at a small little cafe. I had a panini and convinced mom to get me a hot chocolate she smiled and and said 'fine so'. She had a cappuccino and the salad off my plate. With that done and ate we set off again. We skipped clohger as we were running out of time. Smerwick was a handy venue because we could fish were we parked the van.
       I cast my line into the white waves of the water. with no luck at all,  Mom decided that I had my last cast. She asked if she could cast my rod I replied ' yes no bother go for it' . When the line sunk to the bottom I tightened it. Ten minutes later my rod started bouncing. I struck the rod with all my might and  fortunately the fish stayed hooked. It was intense until the rod went a little light, I said to Mom that I thought he came off but I kept reeling. A couple winds later and I could feel him again. That's when the fight really began he pulled with all his might but so did I. When we got him to the rocks we could see it was a Bass, Mom went down to pick him up but nearly slipped so she came back up. I chose a rock that looked safer. With one last pull I got him on to the bank. We unhooked him and measured him.
He tuned out to be 53 cm's and 3 half pounds. After that i caught a 34 cm coalfish also known as a coley. it was time to go home after all the excitement. We told every one about the day we had when we got home.

Tight lines
Eoin Angler
Co. Kerry
Ireland


   
   


          

4 comments:

  1. Now that looks like a perfect day! Can't wait to fish with you, Eoin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi penny yes it was and it was hard fishing because of the bright sun which meant the water was clear and the fish could see me easier and probably got scared and hid in their homes

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it was GREAT day for you and your mom. The only fishing here this time of year is through a hole in the ice! Good luck with the contest! Hooe to see you in the Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great way with words Eoin.....very interesting reading! You have gained lots of experience in your first year of fishing...good luck for 2015 :}

    ReplyDelete