Wednesday 20 July 2016

Home Nations 2016

When the school holidays arrived, I had planned to write my blog every week...somehow that didn't happen , but I have done a lot of fishing and have been getting through many of my target species this year.

For those that know me or read my blog you will know that I manged to get myself on the Irish Home Nations  Under 16's team.

 The Home Nations took place this year in Norfolk, England at the start of July. On the run up to the event I was Extremely busy making traces, I think the last count was 120 traces to cover most eventualities.


We left Ireland, the port on Dublin on Tuesday at  8am and arrived in Holyhead at midday Then came the 8 hour drive. We arrived at our accommodation and all of us were just  dying to go fish but we had to hold off till the next day as it was late and we had to unpack.

We were woken up the next day at 6 am to get ready for a long day practicing fishing, we packed the rods and boxes into the van and set off for to THE BEACH!!!!!!!!. This was a very difficult venue and we all felt a bit concerned as the fish seemed scarce but at least we had a feel for the place. 

We moved on to the second venue this was called Sutton Bridge THE ESTUARY!!!!!!!!. This is where I caught my first ever Silver Eel, I went on and  had three that night, and they were all of a good size. I enjoyed this venue despite the challenges that came along with it. 


After two good days practicing,  the competition days arrived. After day one our team had done well but we were in third position after fishing the beach. We knew this was going to be the hardest one of the two venues so we went to the 2nd comp with high spirits. The team fished their socks off and we left feeling very hopeful. 

The closing ceremony took place back at the hotel, and we were all clean and back in our green jackets and feeling happy with ourselves but had no idea of the outcome. The results were called and we were delighted to receive Gold. 


It was a fantastic experience and our team were all so enthusiastic. I feel proud to have been a part of the event and now I really have a taste for it. Fingers crossed that I get the opportunity again someday. 

Thanks to everyone for your support and the managers and back up team who looked after us so well.
Also THANK YOU to everyone who sponsored me and Our team sponsors, without your generosity we would not have had such a great result.  



I was home for nearly a week before I felt like fishing again, I was sorta worried i'd lost mojo, but no fear there. Once fully recovered i'm back on the rods again, and have been fishing nearly every day. Yesterday I caught my third species of ray this year, just a painted to go now to get my four target ray for 2016. 

Tight Lines
Eoin Angler
Co Kerry 
Ireland 

No comments:

Post a Comment